Essay #1: Feature Profile

Sacrificing for a brighter future. 

Leaving your native country and going to a completely new country is not that easy, It’s like starting a new life. Some problems you’ll encounter are language barriers coming to a new country you wouldn’t be able to communicate with others and simple things from jobs to schooling, buying groceries and simply finding your way around can be very difficult. Finding a job, secure housing, access to local services, cultural differences, transportation issues, change in weather, racism and stereotypes. The person I interviewed would be referred to as Polo. Polo was born in Domincan Republic and migrated to the United States at the age of 7. The reason why I chose polo is because we’ve been good friends and we have a similar experience however we come from two different cultures.  

I asked Polo why do people migrate? He answered with: The only reasons immigrants migrate to other countries is to have a better life and a better future for them and their kids. They are willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to provide for their families. Polo mentioned how hard it was back home so his family took a big decision and decided they were coming to the U.S to have a better life because America is the land of opportunities. Polo parents stressed the importance of school and characteristics of a good person which is to always be kind, respectful and honest. Which I can relate to because my family and I also came to the U.S. to have a better life so I understood the struggle and everything he was saying because I experienced the same experience. Polo was also passionate about helping others who would come not knowing any english or anything and would help them in school or in the neighborhood  and make them feel welcome, and help translate things because once he was in their shoes. An issue that is heartbreaking and Polo wants to come to an end is seeing innocent families getting torn apart by the federal law enforcement agency ICE. They separate family members that cause no harm to society and send them back to the countries that they came from, and all they wanted was to have a better life and make sure their kids get proper education. This cruel agency couldn’t even keep track of or reunite children to their families. That’s how you know they don’t care about these human beings. Polo dont want things like that happening in one of the world’s strongest and advanced economies so he is doing the best he can to help innocent families from this horrible experience, because through hardwork and determination anything can be accomplished